March 28/1901
Suicide by Drowning
Capt. Starkey, A Victim of Melancholy, Takes His Own Life
A shocking tragedy, and one that is fortunately very rare in this community, occurred early on Saturday morning last, when Capt. James Starkey, the well-known boatman, ended his life by his own hands.
            For some time past, Capt. Starkey had been in a despondent mood. The recent deaths of his two sons (both remarkably brilliant students) the serious illness of another son at Aitken, South Carolina, and the discovery that he himself was affected with a cancer, so preyed upon his mind that the became melancholy and unable to sleep. Dr. Gove, his attending physician, tried to shake off this melancholy feeling, but in vain. On Friday, the doctor paid him two visits, and left with his wife a prescription to induce sleep. The doctor warned Mrs. Starkey that her husband was in a dangerous frame of mind and that he should be watched.
            About midnight, the unfortunate man went out of his house, but soon after returned and warmed his hands at the stove. Between 1 and 2 o’clock, he left the house again. This time he did not return. His wife waited half an hour for him to come back, and the, becoming thoroughly alarmed, she visited Mr. James  Ross, a neighbor, and imparted her fears to him. He aroused Mr. Thomas Pendlebury and together they went over to the Starkey wharf to begin their search. With aid of a lantern hey soon discovered the body in the water, with a heavy weight fastened to it. The painful discovery was at once made known to his family and as soon as the tide receded the body was lifted. Coroner Wade, who viewed the remains, did not consider an inquest necessary.
            The deceased was 64 years of age and leaves a wife, two sons and a daughter, for whom the heartfelt sympathy is felt. He was a man of more than ordinary intelligence, with a great deal of personal independence about him. His integrity was undoubted. As a mechanic, he had few equals.
            During his time, he built some very fine vessels. Among those whose construction he directed were the schooners Nettie, Greta, Nellie Clark, Christina, Annie P. Odell, George Lamb and Telephone, all of which with the exception of the Nellie Clark were constructed at St. Andrews. The Clark was built at Robbinston.
            Of late years, Capt. Starkey has devoted his time to building boats and taking out pleasure parties in his little schooner Crusoe. He was well known and greatly respected among the summer visitors. He was also buoy contractor for the port of St. Andrews.
            On Monday, the remains were taken to Robbinston, Maine, for internment. Before leaving, a short service was held at the house by Rev. A W. Mahon.

St. Croix Courier
March 28, 1901
Suicide in St. Andrews
James Starkey, aged sixty-five years, in the most deliberate manner, committed suicide about two o’clock last Saturday morning at his home in St. Andrews. He has, for some time, suffered from insomnia. This, coupled with the death of members of his family and tidings received one day last week that his son, Justin, who is in South Carolina for his health, was sinking rapidly, and the thought that a pustule on his nose would form into a cancer, so preyed on his mind as to cause him to act queerly. He went out of his home about midnight, returned in half an hour or so and sat down by the stove to warm himself. About one-thirty, a.m., he again went out. His wife requested him not to stay long. Shortly after he went out she heard a noise on the wharf adjacent to the house which so alarmed her that she went over to her neighbour, James Ross, and asked him to go down to the wharf in search of Mr. Starkey. Mr. Ross went but having no lantern found it too dark. He went back to his house and got one. Accompanied by his sons and a neighbour, Thomas Pendlebury, he went back and searched the wharf. Finding no trace of him, he held the lantern over the end of the wharf where the feet of the missing man were seen near the surface of the water. Having no boat or other appliance, the parties waited until the tide ebbed and with a rope fasted to the legs hauled the body on the wharf, when it was found that Starkey had passed the end of a piece of rope through a hole and took three half hitches around a piece of rope, part of the drawbar of a railroad car, that weighted about one hundred pounds. He then passed the other end of the rope around his neck, taking two half hitches in it, heaving about two feet slack. So bound he went to hid death over the wharf. Coroner J. A. Wade, M. D., was called the view the body. He believed that the jerk when the iron drew tight the rope had broken Starkey’s neck. Deeming an inquest unnecessary he directed the body to be taken to the house. Mrs. Starkey has the sympathy of the community.
            The remains of Mr. Starkey were taken on Monday over to Robbinston in the steamer Jeanette for interment in the grave where two of his children now lie.
            The late James Starkey was a respected citizen of St. Andrews, of which he was a native. He was a shipbuilder and amongst other vessels built by him were the schooners Nettie, Greta, George Lamb, Telephone and Crusoe; barkentine Christiana, Brigantine Annie P. Odell, and at Robbinston, Maine, the schooner Nellie Clark. The Crusoe he built as a yacht, sailing her himself for the pleasure and accommodation of summer visitors who will regret to hear of the genial captain’s end.